Stephen Gran on 25 Oct 2006 15:35:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian apt-get problems?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:30:45AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 03:58:22PM -0400, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> >   [15 lines, 96 words, 834 characters]  Top characters: _ntiaosl
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:30:48PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > > My understanding is that ftp.debian.org will hit round-robin DNS
> > > and so go somewhere in a reasonably load-balanced way.
> >
> > It looks like ftp.debian.org only returns one IP address, actually,
> > rather than using round-robin DNS.  I'm using ftp.us.debian.org in
> > my sources.list, which *does* in fact use round-robin DNS.  Maybe
> > give that a try?  Failing that, another option may be to migrate
> > away from ftp and to start using http://http.us.debian.org instead.
>
> Switching to ftp.us.debian.org helped some, but migrating to http
> in addition solved the problem.  Thanks.
>
> But why would ftp vs http matter?

The machine is probably heavily loaded, and it's limit for concurrent
ftp sessions is lower than it's limit for concurrent http sessions.  Or
not.  Just a guess.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Just close your eyes, tap your heels    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | together three times, and think to      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | yourself, `There's no place like home.' |
|                                | -- Glynda the Good                      |