gabriel rosenkoetter on 27 Oct 2006 15:59:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] backing up cds

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 07:48:14AM -0400, Michael Lazin wrote:
> I have a largish collection of mp3s which I ripped my CD collection into.
> All of the CDs are ripped into FLAC format.  I attempted to copy the entire
> collection to an external hard drive but got the following error on all the
> albums that I ripped to FLAC: Invalid argument.  I attempted to copy them
> with the cp -R command.  I ripped the CDs with sound juicer.  Any idea of
> what is going on here?

You've got commas, quotes, spaces, ampersands, or various other
shell reserved characters in your filenames and your shell isn't
properly escaping them before passing them to cp(1), which is then
falling flat on its face.

In general, most implementations of cp(1)'s -R (or -r, depending
on how POSIX your implementer felt like being) suck. Use pax(1),
tar(1), rsync(1), and so forth instead.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net