sean finney on 28 Oct 2006 11:51:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 13:38 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I am getting nowhere with this hald problem.
> At boot the init script that loads it returns exit code 1
> Starting from a console using "/etc/init.d/dbus start" returns exit code 2
> (script is attached)
> Starting hald directly with the --verbose=yes parameter returns no error, but
> completes without loading the daemon.

hrm... how about "sh -x /etc/init.d/dbus start", which should give quite
a bit of information about what the init script is doing.  i can try
diffing that against what happens on my system and see if anything
pops out.

> If I can't find a fix over the weekend, I may try a fresh install of Dapper.
> Problem is, /opt /home and /usr/local are all on the same partition as /.

sadly, that may be the easiest way around the problem.  i guess this is
one of those side effects of ubuntu's policy to make linux  "for human
beings" :(

> Suggestions regarding strategy?  I probably have enough HD space on other
> partitions if need be.

if you have enough space elsewhere, a couple rsync (or tar if you're
really l33t) calls to move the data there would probably be best.  you
*can* try installing over the same partition, but then whatever problem
you're having might remain.  so i wouldn't recommend the latter unless
you don't have other options.  if you have to do this, you should
probably boot into the live cd, and nuke off everything but the
directories you care about before starting installation.

	sean