gabriel rosenkoetter on 17 Nov 2006 01:35:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rsync

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:44:36PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> For example, I successfully backed up a directory from one host
> to another using rsync over ssh, and the rsync daemon was not
> running.

Great, you're done. Script it, schedule it, walk away.

You may find that you'll be interested in null-passphrase SSH PKI
keys for root, and associated "only execute this command" seetings
in ~root/.ssh/authorized_keys, but the rsync part of your problem is
done.

> What is the point of the rsync daemon?

It's for people who are justifiably uncomfortable with rlogin, but
who are equally wary of adding a login vector to their systems by
way of SSH. It's a bit outdated, especially on OSS operating
systems, but it still makes some out of sense in some closed
networks using some commercial Unix-like operating systems, and
relying on some details of those OSes' PAM authentication (think
hitting Active Directory for authentication, via CIFS or Kerberos).
Even there, they should just buck up and accept that the SSH
protocol and OpenSSH daemons have had sufficient peer review at
this point, and that there are established and accepted method to
configure those with all major vendors' PAM implementations, but
their stance is not without reason, especially if they're using
older OS major versions.

> Can I run a backup using the daemon over ssh?

Yep. Silly question. You just did. :^>

> Is there a point?

Assuming you mean, "... to the rsync daemon": probably not for your
usage case.

> I am not seeing the purpose of the daemon, but all of the HOWTO's
> seem to mention it.

Mostly because it exists and people did put a non-trivial amount of
time into writing it.

I've forgotten whether there's a noticeable benefit, speed-wise, in
running the rsync daemon over a connection whose privacy is protected
separately (by tcp_wrappers, by SSL, by hardware-based IPSEC, etc),
but common sense suggests that it would, but the benefit would be
negligible over a LAN, as distinct from WAN, link.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net