Dan Widyono on 17 Nov 2006 17:02:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rsync

> > What is the point of the rsync daemon?

> I've forgotten whether there's a noticeable benefit, speed-wise, in
> running the rsync daemon over a connection whose privacy is protected
> separately (by tcp_wrappers, by SSL, by hardware-based IPSEC, etc),
> but common sense suggests that it would, but the benefit would be
> negligible over a LAN, as distinct from WAN, link.

Additionally:

There may be some overhead with SSH, depending on how much you rsync each
time, how compressible it is, and what your SSH compression and encryption
settings are.  When I used SSH for rsync backup purposes I used an SSH
wrapper script which selected blowfish and forced Compression off (just in
case).

You might have SSH turned off (??) for some reason.

You want to control access to the list of paths accessible by clients (with
the daemon you list explicit top-level paths, and the client is constricted
to only those subdirectories).

You want to control access via differing authentication for each subtree
allowed to clients.

Dan W.