Stephen Gran on 21 Nov 2006 17:21:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] obvious (?) k3b question

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:11:31PM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> I thought this was an obvious question.  Apparently, according to google and
> www.k3b.org, it is not.
>
> My cd-rw died.  I bought a new shiny-black dvd-rw that seems to be working
> fine for CDs.  I want to try burning a video dvd.
>
> I can't find any how-tos, nothing in the k3b help file, nothing on the k3b web
> site.  Yeah, I found pages that describe how to do it with growisofs and then
> without explanation say k3b can do it, but nothing that says how.
>
> Can anyone point me to this information, please?

What are you starting with?  An avi or two, a full dvd file hierarchy,
something else?  What you need to end up with a file layout like:
AUDIO_TS/
VIDEO_TS/
         vts_01.vob
         vts_01.ifo
         [ ... ]

If you don't have this, then k3b won't burn a video DVD that you can put
in your set top player.  To create something like this from standard avi
or mpeg files, take a look at dvdauthor - it's a bit clunky, but it
seems to do the job.  Once it has spit out the right file structure for
you somewhere, then point k3b at the top level, and it will do the right
magic with growisofs.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Wharbat darbid yarbou sarbay?           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |