Art Alexion on 29 Nov 2006 14:34:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 14:40, Will Dyson wrote:

> Your kernel really thinks you have 48 serial ports. This is quite
> bizarre, and I believe it is the root cause of your problem.
>
> Hald's poor handling of serial devices turns a minor annoyance into a
> boot failure, but neither it nor udev seem to be misconfigured.
>
> You should file a bug against ubuntu's kernel.

> > I can't remember if I did this.  I am doing it again.  Will reboot after
> > completed and follow up.
>
> In light of the above, I don't think that even a clean install of Edgy
> will solve the problem, since the problem is in the kernel (which does
> not have any configuration files to get messed up during the upgrade
> process).
>
> What might help is updating the BIOS on your laptop, since the
> BIOS-provided ACPI tables are the most likely source of the bizarre
> bogus serial ports. Grrr. Vendors....
>
> Try booting with acpi=off as a first step.

I think we are getting closer to the solution.  The dist-upgrade went badly.
Lots of things were deleted and not upgraded.  One of the things was the
kernel.  It would not boot.  Here is the original problem description:

> I put this upgrade off for a while; just had a feeling
> it would go badly.
>
> Originally ubuntu warty from CD.  6-10 months later,
> upgraded via 'apt-get dist_upgrade' to hoary.  6-10
> months later, upgraded via 'apt-get dist_upgrade' to
> breezy.  All well but, edgy out, so I thought the bugs
> were out of dapper.
>
> This time 'apt-get dist_upgrade'  was stubborn.  Had
> to manually remove some packages and run 'apt-get -f
> install' many times, then install "held back" packages
> with 'apt-get install <held_back_packagename>'.  Then
> had to manually run apt-get install kubuntu_desktop.
> Finally looked like all was well.
>
> But now won't complete init.
>
> System will boot from /dev/hda  gets to initializing
> root file system in graphical boot screen, then falls
> to char mode with many Segment Faults! and finally
> complains that /dev/hda2 (root file system partition)
> does not exist and I get a default prompt with few
> built in commands.
>
> When booting from Kubuntu or Knoppix live CDs
> everything is OK on hda2.

Sean Finney gave me the solution to completing init was

> i'd start with reinstalling some of the packages involved in the first
> steps of a bootup. specifically:
>
> - your kernel (linux-image-2.6-686 or similar)
> - your bootloader
> - your init subsystemsystem
> - ubuntu-standard
>
> if you haven't had to do it before, it's not to hard to get into your
> system to make these changes by doing the following:
>
> - boot off a rescue cd / installer cd
> - mount your root filesystem onto something like /target
> - chroot /target
> - mount -a (make sure  /proc and /sys get mounted)
> - do your stuff
> - unmount all your filesystems
> - reboot.

I still had problems

> > - boot off a rescue cd / installer cd
>
> Done.  OK
>
> > - mount your root filesystem onto something like
> > /target
>
> Done.  OK
>
> > - chroot /target
>
> Done.  OK
>
> > - mount -a (make sure  /proc and /sys get mounted)
>
> Done.  OK
>
> > - do your stuff
>
> This is where I have a problem.
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12-10-686
>
> gets me
>
> sudo: unable to lookup ubuntu via gethostbyname()
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> linux-image-2.6.12-10-686 is already the newest
> version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded.

Sean offered more advice and it worked

> On Saturday 07 October 2006 17:53, sean finney wrote:
> > for the kernel, looks like you're trying to install an older kernel
> > which isn't in dapper.  try linux-image-686.  wrt your question about
> > init, you probably want sysvinit
>
> I succeeded in installing a newer kernel, and was able to boot before
> reinstalling sysvinit.

This is when the insoluble hald problem emerged.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @