Will Dyson on 28 Nov 2006 19:40:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On 11/24/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Thursday 23 November 2006 16:27, Will Dyson wrote:

> > Yeah, it looks like hal's behavior here is, if not correct, then at
> > least what it always does.
> >
> > What is in your 'ls  /sys/class/tty/ttyS*'?

/sys/class/tty/ttyS0:
dev  device  uevent

/sys/class/tty/ttyS1:
dev  device  uevent

/sys/class/tty/ttyS10:
dev  device  uevent

/sys/class/tty/ttyS11:
dev  device  uevent

Your kernel really thinks you have 48 serial ports. This is quite bizarre, and I believe it is the root cause of your problem.

Hald's poor handling of serial devices turns a minor annoyance into a
boot failure, but neither it nor udev seem to be misconfigured.

You should file a bug against ubuntu's kernel.

> > If you want to know where those extra device files are coming from,
> > you can set udev_log="debug" in /etc/udev/udev.conf and then restart
> > the system  and look in the syslog.
> >
> > Otherwise, just reinstalling udev should probably do it.

I can't remember if I did this.  I am doing it again.  Will reboot after
completed and follow up.

In light of the above, I don't think that even a clean install of Edgy will solve the problem, since the problem is in the kernel (which does not have any configuration files to get messed up during the upgrade process).

What might help is updating the BIOS on your laptop, since the
BIOS-provided ACPI tables are the most likely source of the bizarre
bogus serial ports. Grrr. Vendors....

Try booting with acpi=off as a first step.

--
Will Dyson
http://www.lucidts.com/