Will Dyson on 29 Nov 2006 19:51:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On 11/29/06, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

> In light of the above, I don't think that even a clean install of Edgy
> will solve the problem, since the problem is in the kernel (which does
> not have any configuration files to get messed up during the upgrade
> process).
>
> What might help is updating the BIOS on your laptop, since the
> BIOS-provided ACPI tables are the most likely source of the bizarre
> bogus serial ports. Grrr. Vendors....
>
> Try booting with acpi=off as a first step.

I think we are getting closer to the solution.  The dist-upgrade went badly.
Lots of things were deleted and not upgraded.  One of the things was the
kernel.  It would not boot.  Here is the original problem description:

Well, before, the problem was that the new kernel for Edgy had not been installed, and so the system would not boot (it was relying on features of the new kernel).

Now the correct kernel is installed, but it is "detecting" hardware
that your laptop definitely does not have (48 serial ports).

Whenever the kernel's hardware detection routines are giving bad
results, ACPI is a prime suspect. This is because the ACPI standard
allows the system BIOS to specify what hardware is present. This is
great most of the time. But sometimes the vendor's BIOS team is
smoking rock when they write the BIOS, or (more charitably) they
interpret the standard differently than Linux's ACPI code does.

--
Will Dyson
http://www.lucidts.com/