gyoza on 5 Dec 2006 00:54:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] encyclopedia

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 08:57:39PM -0500, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
Are there any computer-based encyclopedias that are know to work or not work on Linux?

A subscription to britannica.com probably would, although their system requirements talk about Windows/Macintosh needs, and Istr that they actually mean it (rather than just shipping, say, PDFs of the paper book).

But I guess you're looking for not-necessarily-connected browsing?

Yeah, I'm looking for something to use "off-line" and give as a gift. I like to buy to own as opposed to paying for subscriptions.