Art Alexion on 5 Dec 2006 15:16:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] After dist_upgrade, kubuntu system won't boot

On Monday 04 December 2006 13:37, Will Dyson wrote:

> Ok. Hard to be 100% sure without the info from /sys/class/tty, but it
> looks like in both cases the kernel is detecting the hardware exactly
> the same (48 serial ports).

Before I reinstall (see below), I'll send you this.  I just forgot to do it
while booted with the CD.

> Very very puzzling why hald would have a problem in one case and not
> another. I noticed just now that you never sent the longer hald strace
> log (where you would let it run for the full 6 minutes).

I'll send this too.

> If you want to give me login access to your machine, I'd be glad to
> poke at it a bit more. Otherwise, I advise you to cut your losses and
> reinstall.

I think you are right.

I don't want to do this because (other than hal) I have spent a lot of time
getting this machine set up the way I want it.

OTOH, I should do this because there are 3 years of stuff I probably don't
need (and that are probably causing the problem, as well as leftovers from 3
dist-upgrades.

As I said, I have Dapper installed.  I am tempted to see if installing Edgy
will fix the problem, but I fear that it will only further obscure it.

All of the system and /usr stuff is in a single / partition.  I have some data
on other physical drives.  I am thinking I should try to save the following
for restoration:

1. /home
2. /usr/local
3. /opt

Another thing that I have to think through is the lan setup.  Right now the
lan addressing is hard coded in an /etc/hosts file with a corresponding file
on the windows machine's hosts.  They are routed through an old (probably
10mb/s) hub.  This setup, with two NICs on each machine, is the legacy of
using the Ubuntu machine as an internet router and firewall.

I have since gotten a combo dsl modem/router/hub (which should support
100mb/s) but did not switch over to it for the lan because the hardwares was
in place and everything worked fine.  I didn't want to create a problem where
one did not exist.  Further, Verizon supplied the gateway appliance but
refused to support using it for a lan.  The manufacturer does not support it
at all.  I can, none the less, set it up for the lan as I have poked around
it's configuration system and see how it is done on the gateway.  I have to
figure out how to change it on the windows machine.

Anyway, rather than go through all of this, I am going to send you the strace
from the normal boot and 'ls  /sys/class/tty*' output from the CD boot and
give this one more try.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net