darin strait on 22 Dec 2006 16:30:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] University city high speed internet

Since the summer, the Verizon contractors spent about three months tinkering with the fiber at my apartment complex in Lansdale, after putting up flyers stating that it would only take a few weeks. They put a junction box into the ground, right next to the creek that floods with any half-decent rainstorm. The box has already been ripped out of the ground once.

This does not give me warm-and-fuzzy feelings when it comes to their tech know-how or the survivability of their service. I still don't know if the system is live or not, which puts their marketting into question as well. I'm irked enough with Comcast (we use their digital cable and broadband services) to dump them, but I'm not convinced that Verizon will be any better.

Has anyone heard anything definitive about Verizon's port restrictions? I recall hearing that Verizon will block useful server ports, such as http, https and ssh. I realize that I can get apache, ssh, etc. to use other ports, but I don't want to have to play such a dumb game. Plus I don't know what other ports I might want to use in the future (VPN?).

-- d