Gabriel Farrell on 28 Dec 2006 17:41:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] University city high speed internet

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 08:01:58PM -0500, Jonathan Bringhurst wrote:
> I'm in the market for getting some sort of DSL or cable (no dial up,
> and using an open wireless AP is annoying) for my apartment right near
> Clark Park (by 43rd and Baltimore near university city).
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Cavtel or Verizon DSL in the
> area? I currently don't have a phone line and just rely on my mobile
> (So there's no checking to see how far the CO is) or cable TV (don't
> want it).
>
> My current line of thought is to go with Verizon and get a base price
> land line with just basic 911 service and their DSL line, but I'm open
> to see what's out there. Any ideas?
>
> -Jon <fintler@gmail.com>

I live at 43rd and Kingsessing and I just got internet service.  I
decided to go with Speakeasy because I felt like a buffer between me
and Verizon would be nice.  Also, they offer the dry loop option with
their OneLink plans (http://speakeasy.net/home/onelink/).  Their
customer service really is great, but installation was still a real
hassle.  I waited three weeks because of an error in the house number
on Verizon's end, then the Verizon guy who came by to set up the line
to the house really didn't know anything -- tried to get a dial tone
even though it was a dedicated loop.  Luckily, the Covad guy, who ran
a line from the box in through my bathroom window, seemed to know what
was up.

At this point I'm kinda thinking I should have gone with Comcast cable
since the lines were already installed in this house, I don't really
need a static IP, and I'd probably be getting faster download speeds
at about the same price per month.  From what I've heard, Comcast can
be really frustrating if something goes wrong, but most of the time
the connection is fine.

Also, Verizon told me we don't have FIOS in the area yet.

Gabe