darin strait on 22 Dec 2006 17:39:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] University city high speed internet

Yes, I've lived in Valley Stream for over two years. I have a lovely view of the aforementioned junction box, which is why I mentioned it. The first junction box survived for something like a week.  I worked for PECo back in the eighties, I have some idea of where not to put equipment and I could not believe that they stuck that box there. I hope that this installation proves sturdier.

I don't know how much (or what kind of) work Verizon's contractors do for Verizon. For all I know, I'll have to go through one for any interaction with Verizon. Most of the other irkiness from them was short notice for "we need to be in your apartment tomorrow" situations, and the number of those situations. And, like I said, I expected to be deluged with marketting/brochures by now. There are at least three other wifi points withing reach of my couch, so someone here is likely to buy their services.

FWIW, Comcast's broadband has been fine here (had a dicier experience with them in Trenton several years back, at the tail end of the @Home era). It's been occaisionally sluggish. Traceroute would show busy routers sometimes. Nothing to make me flip out.

When we moved in, they got the MAC on the cablemodem wrong, just a transposed digit or something like that. That took a little bit of troubleshooting, but I think that they fixed that during the installation visit, which they would have had to make anyway.

The only technical call that I've had to make to them (to have them reprovision my cablemodem after I replaced it) resulted in one disconnected call after about 8 minutes, and then about 15 or 20 minutes waiting for things to happen on their end. That wasn't perfect, but I was expecting worse.

I'm more irked with the TV side of things. We've got an old DCT box, which is appalling, and I was contemplating their HD service so I could get a better STB (I'm using RCA jacks from the DCT at the moment since the DCT doesn't even have svideo out, but I'd prefer a HDMI or component video out, plus an optical audio out) until Comcast decided to raise rates. Plus, there is the games they play with their retransmitted OTA HD channels. Now I have a Netflix account and I'm wondering about Verizon (can't do a dish here, we face the wrong way).  If anyone is interested in Philly-area HDTV and Comcast vs. Verizon vs. OTA, there is a board on avsforum.com that speaks to these issues. HTH.

-- d