Matthew Rosewarne on 3 Jan 2007 15:31:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] moving from iTunes to Amarok

If you're using Amarok, I would guess you'd be using KDE.  There's a nice KDE
app for doing just this sort of thing:
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024&PHPSESSID=5017b76d6e1d8d336193267440b6d287
(In case the link mysteriously becomes bad, it's called soundKonverter)

Depending on what distribution you use, you may need to install some extra
software from non-official places in order to read m4a files.  I (and I'm
sure everyone else on the list) would recommend the OGG Vorbis format as the
new format, as it is also Free/Open Source and patent-free.  For future
ripping, you might consider FLAC, which is has slightly larger files, but
doesn't lose a single bit of audio quality.

Of course, if iPod compatibility is a major issue for you, you might want to
just leave them as m4a and download the appropriate software, which should
allow amarok and others to play them.

Another suggestion, if you don't need all the bells, whistles, and knobs of
Amarok, KDE also includes Juk, which is also an iTunes-like player.