Art Alexion on 3 Jan 2007 19:06:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] moving from iTunes to Amarok

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 09:02, Jon Allen Boone wrote:
> One way to convert from the m4a format to other formats is to burn
> the music to an audio CD and then re-rip it as MP3 or whatever format
> you prefer.

There are some reasons not to do any of these things.

1.  the amarok-xine engine has its problems, but it plays m4a files nicely.
Hence, it is unnecessary.

2.  If you convert from lossy m4a to lossy mp3, you will further degrade the
sound quality.  Think of multiple jpeg saves.

3.  Even if you convert to cda (audio CD format)  the .cda file only has the
data of the original m4a, and if you convert/rip the cda to mp3, you will
lose even more.

4.  I'm not sure of this last one, but I have heard that the software in the
iPod itself converts mp3 to m4a/aac on the fly, and avoiding this conversion
by loading m4a/aac files saves battery life.

My advice is to keep it as m4a and not convert at all.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @