Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Jan 2007 15:27:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] moving from iTunes to Amarok

Yeah, pretty much the best advice is to leave it as-is.  I got bitten by this
same thing when I originally switched to Linux, as I had been using crazy
formats that would play in Winamp 2 with all sort of plugins, but at that
time would just not work on linux.  After some experimentation, I found it
easier in the long run to store things in a lossless format (in my case FLAC)
whenever possible, since it can be turned into anything else should the need
arise, which it has from time to time.  Eventually the (thoroughly
outstanding) Rio Karma came out which supports FLAC, so it replaced my laptop
as my music player of choice.  It's no longer made, but FLAC has become the
most widely accepted lossless codec for pretty much any audio player not made
by Apple.