Philip McGraw on 25 Jan 2007 06:39:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] moving from iTunes to Amarok

> > Yes, although the reduction in quality would not be as great if a more
> > modern codec, such as ogg, were used.
>
> iPods don't play ogg files.  Since getting an iPod, I regret the music I
> archived as ogg because I have to convert it (further degradation) to play on
> my iPod.

My iPod nano does play ogg (and flac) files while booted into rockbox
(open source music player firmware).  See http://www.rockbox.org/ for
more info if you're not familiar with it.  Rockbox for the iPod can
dual boot such that you can select either the rockbox or the original
Apple firmware, but I find myself booting rockbox most of the time now.
Some of the other rockbox ports do not dual boot, but the iPod port does.

I notice that rockbox was mentioned on the plug list back in March of
2003 by Kam Salisbury, but rockbox has come a long ways since then.
There's a new porting effort for the Sandisk Sansa E2XX platform, but it
doesn't play music yet.  My son boots rockbox on his Sansa to play
games, and then boots the original firmware for playing music.

Philip