George A. Theall on 6 Jan 2007 01:17:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NAS drive or External?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:09:58AM -0500, Jeff Watson wrote:

>    I am planning on getting either a Network storage drive, or an external
>    harddrive. Now I am certain I will be able to interface with the USB
>    External Hard Drive but i have never connected to an Network Access
>    Storage device  via linux. Does anyone have any experience/specific
>    models/ suggestions as to which option to persue?

Pros:

  - external USB drives are DIRT CHEAP.
  - you can move them from one computer to another as needed and
    possibly even boot off them if set up correctly and the host
    computer's BIOS supports it.

Cons:

  - the machine it's attached to will always need to be on and
    accessible from the network.
  - slower access speed (480Mb/s for USB 2.0 vs 10/100/1000 Gb/s for
    a NAS device).
  - I don't think any offer support for RAID.
  - I suspect it offers little or no control over the disk in
    terms of DMA, write-caching, etc, but I'm not sure.

Buffalo Tech has a range of Linux-based NAS devices of varying degrees
of hackability; eg, see:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_network-attached_storage_series

I recently ordered a Kurobox ($149, http://www.kurobox.com/), an
embedded device targetted at Linux hackers.  When it arrives next week,
I hope to stick an IDE drive in it, put Gentoo on it, and use it for
various services on my LAN.  I expect you could easily run Samba or NFS
on it and turn it into a NAS device.  You'd be limited to just one disk
(ie, no RAID), but given that you're considering an external USB drive
it sounds like that's not a concern for you.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com