W. Chris Shank on 25 Jan 2007 16:27:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Macbook Pro update

There are many standard Linux apps that I can't get to properly  "port" on OS X or are completely unavailable as source. I guess I could try to download the source and attempt to compile it directly, but I think that is what ports is doing. Some of the alternative apps just suck in comparison. My biggest beef is the crappy terminal. I like have tabs, I like to highlight and center button to paste, I like virtual desktops, I like not to have to clear 1000 PDFs off the desktop because i've clicked them open in a browser (I guess linux is putting these in /tmp).

I also find the interface a little much after a while. I'm always minimizing windows to get to what's beneath. I've got the dashboard set to flatten out the screens when I move the mouse to a corner, but that still takes about 3/10 of a second. that adds up after a while.

I like the hardware and the sensors are neat. But after a while all that doesn't matter.

----- Original Message -----
From: Edward Smola <n-tropy@n-tropy.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:43:22 AM GMT-0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Macbook Pro update

What do you miss about linux ?
I have ubuntu with beryl installed at work and on a desktop machine
at home that I rarely use.
You can run pretty much most apps you would under linux on the MBP.
I'm just looking forward to see if the native gtk support in leopard
is true. would be nice not to have to run x11 anymore for some apps.

http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I used bootcamp to install windows and have a vmware linux and
windows partitions on osx also.  I can't tell you the last time i
booted to the windows partition and have rarely used the linux and
widnows vmware installs.

On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:26 AM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

> My love affair with the macbook pro is over. I just got it back
> after a week to replace the main logic board. During that time I
> was back to Linux desktop/laptop and I realized how much I missed
> it. I think I'll reserve OS X for graphics work, but will use Linux
> for my day-to-day real work. Has anyone seen a how-to for putting
> Linux on the new Core 2 Duo macbook pro? Do I need bootcamp for this?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> W. Chris Shank
> ACE Technology Group, LLC
> www.myremoteITdept.com
> (610) 640-4223

> Security Note: To protect against computer viruses,
> e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving
> certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail
> security settings to determine how attachments are
> handled.

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
www.myremoteITdept.com