Edward Smola on 25 Jan 2007 17:47:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Macbook Pro update

On Jan 25, 2007, at 11:24 AM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

There are many standard Linux apps that I can't get to properly "port" on OS X or are completely unavailable as source. I guess I could try to download the source and attempt to compile it directly, but I think that is what ports is doing. Some of the alternative apps just suck in comparison. My biggest beef is the crappy terminal. I like have tabs, I like to highlight and center button to paste,

There are several terminals out there that have tabs... leopard version will have tabs.

I like virtual desktops,

http://www.virtuedesktops.info/ course leopard will have virtual desktops built in also.

I like not to have to clear 1000 PDFs off the desktop because i've clicked them open in a browser (I guess linux is putting these in / tmp).

Why don't you tell safari where to save files you download...
First thing i do when i dowload firefox also... tell it to download stuff someplace sane.

I also find the interface a little much after a while. I'm always minimizing windows to get to what's beneath. I've got the dashboard set to flatten out the screens when I move the mouse to a corner, but that still takes about 3/10 of a second. that adds up after a while.

well for that you can alt-tab, or click on app in dock. or f9 in expose and then you can tab to switch to cycle through application windows. I have a window shade addon that i rarely use.

I like the hardware and the sensors are neat. But after a while all that doesn't matter.

I really need to update my suggested install page for new mac users...

quick starter list.
adium for chat
quicksilver for launching apps or documents... its a must have
viruedesktops
perian - quicktime codecs
flip4mac - m$ codecs