Doug Crompton on 13 Feb 2007 03:34:48 -0000

[PLUG] Good VOIP provider

If you are looking for a pay as you go VOIP provider, checkout
callwithus.com

They are Asterisk or bring your own device friendly and support IAX and
SIP. The neat thing is they allow you to set your caller ID. So the calls
you make can look like they are coming from your home phone. The rates are
good, especially since Gizmo doubled their rates. I have not used it long
but the call quality so far has been excellant. I am using IAX via
Asterisk.

I have Asterisk setup to route local (non toll) calls to Verizon and all
other calls to the VOIP provider of choice. Thus I do not have to worry
about 911. Verizon charges are about $17/month. I have my DSL via DCAnet
on that line. All I have to do is keep the selected VOIP account charged
with credit. For me that is usually less than $10/month.

What is interesting about callwithus is the ability to set callerID.
Usually the cheap or pay as you go accounts do not have that feature and
the number that shows up is some crazy number that has no bearing on where
the call came from. This is is useless as the called party often does not
answer, not knowing who it is and they cannot return the call using the
supplied number.

Doug