K.S. Bhaskar on 17 Feb 2007 17:50:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The filesystem question...

In the last year, I have set up 4 laptops and 2 PCs with jfs using both Kubuntu/Ubuntu and Debian Sid with satisfactory results (on the laptops, jfs is on partitions encrypted with dm-crypt).  However, none of my work is particularly demanding.  One of the PCs is used for automated regression testing of a database engine, and for certain types of tests (lots of file creation / deletion, read-mostly tests), jfs may be slower than ext3, whereas reiserfs appeared to be faster.  But we haven't really dug into it (also jfs' forte is supposedly large files with read-write activity).

I believe jfs is the same file system that AIX has - developed by IBM and contributed to the Linux community.  We have had good results with jfs on AIX.

-- Bhaskar