Dayton Gray on 17 Feb 2007 18:40:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The filesystem question...

This is an interesting topic and one I have been researching a lot lately. I just purchased a 3ware 9550SX and have a 4 500GB drive raid 5 setup in a hot-swap enclosure. I did some initial benchmarking with both ext3 and XFS and the writes were significantly faster with XFS (nearly twice as fast). I ended up sticking with ext3 however due to the fact that it is well supported and stable. If this data weren't so important to me (or I had a reliable backup solution in place) I would definitely build it XFS for the fantastic write speed. Reads were faster with XFS as well, but not by a large margin. As raid 5 will house my multimedia files, it is more important that I have reliable reads as I will not be writing to the disk often. If you anticipate a lot of writes to disk, XFS would be well worth it.

If you do go with XFS, make certain that you have a good UPS in place as I've read that the file system can become corrupted upon power failure more easily than ext3. With laptops, this would obviously be less of a concern.

Dayton