Benjamin Krein on 23 Feb 2007 14:42:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

Doug Crompton wrote:
> Getting back to Verizon... I got another one of those letter size
> envelopes today, the ones that say "special delivery" and have a single
> sheet inside. The sheet is an ad for FIOS.
>
> I don't know if anyone can answer these questions but if you can I would
> love to have an answer. I was told that once the copper was gone after you
> switched to FIOS that it could never be restored. IF that is true then I
> would have to assume that going FIOS gives up any use of alternative
> (POTS) suppliers in the future? You are then locked into Verizon.

I just had FIOS installed.  I'm not aware of them taking *ANY* copper
out whatsoever.  I would guess this is largely a myth.  Granted, I
didn't have a POTS hookup before FIOS, so I have no proof.  I did ask
the installer and as I remember he denied that they remove any wiring so
I don't think that is true.

> Verizon would then supply phone, data, and TV via FIOS. At that point you
> could I suppose you VOIP (if Verizon did not block its use) but the next
> question is can you have FIOS Data/TV without phone? I think the answer is
> no. So the next question - can you have a minimum FIOS phone package,
> similiar to POTS. If you cannot and you have to take the package then why
> use VOIP, you are already paying for total service. Thus you are totally
> beholden to Verizon.

Yes you can get FIOS data/tv *WITHOUT* telephone.  I did.  They also
don't seem to be blocking any VOIP stuff since we use Vonage.  I don't
know much about VOIP, so maybe this isn't a good measure of what they
block.  As far as I know they don't, however.  (Asterisk is on my list).
 As a side note, Verizon also offers a VOIP package that resembles
Vonage almost exactly... ~$25/mo unlimited calling.  We've contemplated
switching.

As a further aside, I saw some concerns about FIOS bandwidth capping and
monthly use capping.  I can tell you that we use FIOS to do offsite
backup via SSH to on of our homes.  We dump ~200-300GB/*day* to the
offsite location over FIOS without any problems whatsoever.  We keep
waiting for the cease & desist from FIOS, but haven't heard a peep now
for several months.  The system works perfectly.

> So if this is all the case then once you go FIOS you are basically locked
> into it forever unless you go (assuming it is available) (back) to Comcast
> for everything - data, TV, VOIP.

Again, I don't think this is the case at all.  We signed up for the 1-yr
contract, but even that isn't as scary as it sounds.  The 1-yr agreement
allows you to waive the installation fee of $70 (which is a deal IMO
since they're trenching new lines from the street to your house and even
running new wires inside if necessary for up to 3 connections).  If you
do decide to break contract, you're only liable for the $70 install fee,
not some astronomical cancellation fee like with their cell phone
service.  I think that's very fair.

> It sounds like there could be a lot of unhappy people who do not think
> this out before they jump. Am I right on these assumptions?
>
> I thought when they broke up the phone companies this was suppose to work
> like out electric power does not - you pay for a generation supplier
> (selectable) and a distribution supplier (always PECO). This would be
> analogous to having Verizon supply a pipe to the internet provider of your
> choice. That is the way it should be.

This sounds great to the consumer, but it's not very realistic to the
provider of the pipe.  It costs A LOT of money to secure the rights to
run those lines in addition to the actual cost of the materials and
labor to lay the infrastructure.  Companies are out there to make a
profit.  I don't buy this argument about it being totally unfair.  But
that's another argument.

> Sounds like a good class action suit. Where are the lawyers?

I don't think you need to get up in arms yet.

> Doug

Hope that helps clear some stuff up.

Benjamin Krein
www.superk.org