Doug Crompton on 23 Feb 2007 16:01:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Benjamin Krein wrote:

> > So if this is all the case then once you go FIOS you are basically locked
> > into it forever unless you go (assuming it is available) (back) to Comcast
> > for everything - data, TV, VOIP.
>
> Again, I don't think this is the case at all.  We signed up for the 1-yr
> contract, but even that isn't as scary as it sounds.  The 1-yr agreement
> allows you to waive the installation fee of $70 (which is a deal IMO
> since they're trenching new lines from the street to your house and even
> running new wires inside if necessary for up to 3 connections).  If you
> do decide to break contract, you're only liable for the $70 install fee,
> not some astronomical cancellation fee like with their cell phone
> service.  I think that's very fair.

It sounds fair but I still stand by the choice issue because we are
primarily talking about data and TV. For the phone (assuming they don't
block it) you would have your choice of any VOIP provider. You are still
stuck with Verizon (or Comcast) for data and for TV (or Comcast or
Satelite). While I am sure there will be some people, that have the money
to blow, who will have both Comcast and Verizon (even satelite) installed,
most will only have one or the other. Third parties for both ISP and data
link provider will be elimintated. You will sign up with one or the other
and use their data/TV services or else.

I do not agree with this concept. I think it should be like electric
power. Verizon or whomever, should supply me with a big pipe. I should be
able to go to any TV, data, phone service provider I want including the
the actual pipe supplier in the same model as electric providers. It seems
to be working for PECO.

This is a dangerous road to go down, allowing the provider to control
modify, block etc. all content.

Doug