Art Alexion on 23 Feb 2007 18:20:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Friday 23 February 2007 10:42, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Yes I do. Do you really think that they are going to leave it in and
> maintain thousands of miles of copper that (hopefully to them) will be
> unused?

Yes.  Because (1) they don't have to maintain the line between the pole and
your house if you aren't using it, and (2) they have to maintain the lines on
the poles for other in the neighborhood who don't get FIOS.  Most of all, (3)
it costs them money to remove it.

> That is unrealistic.

I think removing it at lineman's wages is unrealistic.

> It also has scrap value.

Not enough to justify the high cost of removal.

> Even if they did
> leave it in it would be unmaintained and eventally useless.

Maybe, but my house was built in 1922.  We are only the second owners and I
presume the interior phone wiring is original.  Other than replacing the box
where their lines connect to the home wiring, it hasn't been maintained.
Works fine.  The old AT&T hardware is pretty durable.  We even have a
pre-WWII phone that works fine.

> I am mostly
> talking about the main trunks. It would proobably cost more then it is
> worth to rip out the line to your home.

(I should have read this before writing the above).  Nonetheless, I think they
will have to maintain the trunks for customers that don't switch to FIOS.  I
suppose that eventually copper POTS will exist only in history, buy that
could be well after you and I cease to inhabit the earth spending money for
telecommunications.

> I can see in FIOS areas (which eventaully will be all areas) a cutoff date
> for copper.
>
> In many aeas the copper trunks are in such bad shape they would have to be
> replaced. This just gives them a reason to abandon them.
>
> Hey analog TV is going off sooner then you think - get your
> HDTV or converter soon!

I could be wrong but...

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> > That sounds suspicious.  Do you really think Verizon would go to the
> > expense to rip out the existing copper?  What if you sold your
> > home/office?  Wouldn't the new resident have the right to establish POTS
> > service?  So why wouldn't you?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @