Stephen Gran on 28 Feb 2007 13:41:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Putty and firewall piercing

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:21:35AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 20:50, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:47:16PM -0500, jeff said:
> > > What is the (relatively) safest way to access one's home box from the
> > > Outside World?  Is SSH safe enough (with nonstandard port and secure
> > > password)?
> >
> > SSH with key based authentication, and disabled password authentication is
> > best.  Good passwords are a good runner up, though.
>
> As a practical matter, if the client computer is your employer's or some other
> shared computer, wouldn't a good password be better that keeping your key on
> the insecure client?

A good passphrase on the key would certainly be a good idea.  I am only
trying to point out that brute force password attacks are sometimes
successful, while I have yet to hear of a successful login from a brute
force attack against your private key.  If the client machine is really
that insecure, you're probably stuffed, but there you are.
|  Stephen Gran                  | I just got my PRINCE bumper sticker ... |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | But now I can't remember WHO he is ...  |