Art Alexion on 28 Feb 2007 13:44:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Evolution vs. Thunderbird

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 21:38, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> I tried evolution twice and gave up both times.  The open source
> mantra is release early release often.  The evolution mantra (at least
> for me) was crash early and crash often (and yes, crash mysteriously
> at random times, and sometimes bug buddy would also crash collecting
> information about my evolution crashes).  Also, when total mail
> folders get large (tens of folders totaling hundreds of MB), it takes
> for ever to start up and shut down (it seems to insist on reading and
> touching every folder), and frequently passes the Bhaskar test for
> hanging (if I run out of patience waiting for a program to do its
> thing, it's a hang, even if it will take less than infinite time to
> complete what it is doing).
>
> I run thunderbird.

I, too, tried evolution and dropped it.  I found it way too big a program for
what it accomplished; it loads so many things in order to run relatively
simple tasks.  It also seemed to have that proprietary software philosophy of
knowing what you want better than you do; customizability and modularity were
not its strongest assets.

It was among the reasons I switched from Ubuntu-Gnome to Kubuntu-KDE.  With
the Ubuntu version of Gnome, there didn't seem to be a way to share calendar
and address data with my Palm Pilot unless I used the Evolution conduits,
which meant I had to use Evolution.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @