Matthew Rosewarne on 2 Mar 2007 22:56:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Evolution vs. Thunderbird

On Friday 02 March 2007 08:44, Art Alexion wrote:
> I'm not so sure that the best way to test KDE is to try a major upgrade as
> soon as it is released.  It is likely to have some problems in the first
> iteration that won't be fixed until, say 4.1 or at least 4.0.3.  On Ubuntu,
> I'd stick with 3.5.5, if you can, 3.5.6 if you have to.  If you try out KDE
> with 4.0 as soon as it comes out, I fear you will be destined to dislike
> it.

KDE 4 is being tested very heavily, there shouldn't be any real problems with
its initial release, just as there weren't with KDE 3.0.  I would advise
using KDE 4 whenever your distribution makes it the default version.  That
said, the primary focus of the KDE 4.0 will be to establish the frameworks
that will be around until 5.0, some of the nifty stuff that takes full
advantage of those frameworks will come out later in the release cycle.

As for 3.5.6, it's the stable branch, I'm running it right now in Debian and
there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to stay with 3.5.5 if 3.5.6 is
available.