Douglas Lentz on 11 Mar 2007 23:30:45 -0000

[PLUG] Ghostscript and CUPS, multiple printers, how to select one?

Hello, all. Help, please.

I have a Red Hat 9 box, using CUPS, with two printers installed, an HP laserjet w/ postscript emulation built in, and its new sibling, an HP Photosmart A610 series photo printer. I have some problems with the Photosmart, or more precisely, with finding an application that can print to it. The Photosmart is a non-postscript printer, by the way.

Obvious questions: does it work? Yes. The CUPS test page renders beautifully. Some applications, like Firefox and Open Office, can print to the Photosmart, but these applications don't support the appropriate paper size. What you get is exactly what you'd expect to get if you tried to print an 8x11 image to a 4x6 piece of photo paper - a chunk of the image. On the CUPS test page, there is a box labeled "Interpreter information" which says "Postscript level 3, Product GNU Ghostscript, Serial #42". So...

I am perfectly happy to print with Ghostscript, but how do I do it in this case? When I run gs with "devicenames ==" I see lots of devices, but nothing I can map with certainty onto the Photosmart. There is a "/cups" device, but if this is the correct one, how do I tell ghostscript what kind of output to produce, since CUPS is managing both a Postscript and nonpostscript printer? If I can solve that problem, what's a good way to send the output from gs to a specific printer? With a pipe?

I am definitely missing a piece of the puzzle here. Can someone help me find it?

As far as CUPS goes, it believes that the photo printer is called "direct usb://Q7110A?serial=00CNHC59G1RS". So says lpinfo. How do I communicate this intelligence to gs, so it knows where to print to?

Sigh...when I try googling these questions, I keep coming back to the same sites, Thomas Merz's document, the CUPS administrator's manual, linuxprinting.org. Does anyone know any good ones for solving this kind of problem?

Thanks!