Michael C. Toren on 12 Mar 2007 05:28:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sun March 11...here!

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 08:33:07PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Especially devices that get set locally. Cell Phones are a good example.

There are two cell phones in my house, both serviced by Verizon.  When I
woke up this morning, Nita's phone had the correct time, while mine was an
hour behind :-)  Fortunately, power-cycling fixed it -- otherwise, things
would have really sucked, as there's no way to adjust the time or timezone
on these phones manually.

> They just follow the time of the cell they are in. You can drive across
> timezone boundries and watch it change.

...which annoyed me to no end a few years ago when I was staying in
Tennessee, which straddles both the Eastern and Central timezones.  When
you travel a short distance into town you cross a boundary, and *wham*,
the time represented on your cell phone changes out from under you.  It
can be a little disorienting for those of us that don't carry a watch,
but instead rely on our cellphones to act as time pieces.

*grumble*

-mct