Art Alexion on 2 Apr 2007 16:22:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OpenOffice.org 2.2 debs

On Sunday 01 April 2007 21:56, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> If you absolutely have to have updated deb packages before they are
> packaged for your distro, it is a much better idea to take the source deb
> from the current release, replace the orig.tar.gz, and bump the version.
> Using packages, especially ones as complex as OOo, that aren't packaged
> properly is playing russian roulette with your machine.

I appreciate the warning and the potential danger, but I have been doing this
with OOo for 4 updates now without a problem.  Everything -- except the
system menus for KDE and Gnome -- is installed in /opt so it won't affect the
rest of your system.  The version numbers that I used are the same as the
upstream version for this release.

OOo, in particular, tends to have significant bug fixes with these updates.
For instance, version 2.0, included with Dapper, couldn't find its templates,
effectively disabling the template feature.  That was unacceptable for any
serious word processing use.  Perhaps the solution for packages like OOo is
for distros to stop trying to integrate it into /usr and for it always to
install in /opt so that users can take advantage of updates without
interfering with the /usr tree.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @