K.S. Bhaskar on 7 Apr 2007 02:54:41 -0000

[PLUG] Logistical assistance for teaching Linux based Compter Merit Badge at Boy Scout Science Camp 2007

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Logistical assistance for teaching Linux based Compter Merit Badge at Boy Scout Science Camp 2007
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:54:36 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Among my various activities, I am a scouter (boy scout adult leader).  At the Chester County Council's 2007 Science Camp (June 24-30), I have signed up to teach Computer Merit Badge, and I plan to do that with Linux (I decided a long time ago that if I was going to volunteer my time, I was going to do it only for free / open source software).  We will use live CDs (most likely my own custom remastered version of DSL - http://damnsmalllinux.org).  I would like to give each scout - about 100 in all - his own live CD and USB drive with files created in class to take home (and maybe some of them will give their malware infested home PCs a brain transplant).

To that end, I am looking for donations of old USB drives.  All we need are USB drives that are at least 16MB - we don't need anything fancy, and USB 1.1 would be just fine.
  1. If you know any organization ( e.g, office stores, IT departments) we can approach for old drives, please let me know (a specific contact would be great).
  2. If you have old drives, please delete any files on them and mail them to me (address below).  If you want me to, please include a note, and I will gladly use dd to write over the drives with data from /dev/random and then reformat them before I use them.
If you want a formal receipt for any drives you donate, please let me know and I will get receipts issued.

If you are willing to help duplicate CDs (I will probably finalize them sometime in mid May), please let me know.  If 10 people volunteer to make 10 CDs each, we will have 100 CDs.

If you are a scouter, and are interested in my curriculum / lesson plans, I would be glad to share them (they're still evolving).

Thank you very much, in advance, for your help.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar
925 South Wisteria Drive