Joseph B. Welsh on 20 Apr 2007 14:20:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vmware server: networking and clipboard

Hi Art,
I using the Feisty Fawn Beta (Kubuntu) and Vmware running 4 vm's on my
laptop

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 09:26 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> I am looking for help or documentation for configuring vmware networking.  I
> have not been able to find anything useful myself.
>
> host = ubuntu 6.06 (dapper)
> vm = w2k pro
> on host, eth0 = lan, eth1 = dsl modem

If you have multiple lan adapters on your host, it should have asked you
to run Bridged and Nat setup for each adapter when you
ran ./vmware-config.pl.  I suggest try running that again and select
bridged network for each adapter.  Also set up a host only network for
access to your host files

In order, it should ask you to setup a bridged, NAT, and Host only
network

If you've done that you can add network adapters to your VM by adding
them in the configuration of the VM

On my laptop VMNET0 is Bridged to my Network Lan card
and VMNET8 is a host only network

> The first time I set this up, the vm was accessing the internet but not the
> lan.  I had to delete the vm and recreate.  Now it seems to access neither.
> I am having trouble figuring this out from the documentation provided on the
> vmware site.
>
> It seems that I need to set up some sort of virtual lan between the host and
> the vm in order to share files and access the clipboard between the two.
> Again, I can't figure this out from the documentation provided on the vmware
> site.

You can also set up shared folder on you VM.  Before your start up the
VM edit the Vm's settings and select the Options tab, and enter the host
directories you wish to share.  Then in the VM, Go to Network
Neighborhood and you should see you host with all the shared
directories.

HTH

joe