Art Alexion on 26 Apr 2007 14:39:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] vmware server: networking and clipboard

On Friday 20 April 2007 10:19, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> Hi Art,
> I using the Feisty Fawn Beta (Kubuntu) and Vmware running 4 vm's on my
> laptop
>
> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 09:26 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I am looking for help or documentation for configuring vmware networking.
> >  I have not been able to find anything useful myself.
> >
> > host = ubuntu 6.06 (dapper)
> > vm = w2k pro
> > on host, eth0 = lan, eth1 = dsl modem
>
> If you have multiple lan adapters on your host, it should have asked you
> to run Bridged and Nat setup for each adapter when you
> ran ./vmware-config.pl.  I suggest try running that again and select
> bridged network for each adapter.  Also set up a host only network for
> access to your host files
>
> In order, it should ask you to setup a bridged, NAT, and Host only
> network
>
> If you've done that you can add network adapters to your VM by adding
> them in the configuration of the VM
>
> On my laptop VMNET0 is Bridged to my Network Lan card
> and VMNET8 is a host only network
>
> > The first time I set this up, the vm was accessing the internet but not
> > the lan.  I had to delete the vm and recreate.  Now it seems to access
> > neither. I am having trouble figuring this out from the documentation
> > provided on the vmware site.
> >
> > It seems that I need to set up some sort of virtual lan between the host
> > and the vm in order to share files and access the clipboard between the
> > two. Again, I can't figure this out from the documentation provided on
> > the vmware site.
>
> You can also set up shared folder on you VM.  Before your start up the
> VM edit the Vm's settings and select the Options tab, and enter the host
> directories you wish to share.  Then in the VM, Go to Network
> Neighborhood and you should see you host with all the shared
> directories.

I tried to do this.

I re-ran vmware-config.pl and chose the networking options you recommended.
It is hard to tell if it detected both NICs or whether it just added another
virtual NIC.  It compiled the kernel modules it needed.

I couldn't find anywhere in the options or hardware settings of the VM to set
up shares.  Screen shots of the settings dialog are posted to
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/vmware_screenshots/settings_shots.html

Do I have to do something to my samba configuration to make this work?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @