Bob Heise on 21 Apr 2007 21:46:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: NTFS cleaning

  • From: Bob Heise <>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: NTFS cleaning
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:42:33 +0200
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:reply-to:to:subject:date:user-agent:references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id; b=nc+6yrthkD3oWRTnIDqbNp/BtCtm5MRhia9VDqc9+t3+N3/8BDpow1Q39FKZQViq3cia+gr3LjkRdtBmojebhOABBAB3My1VoEjrJt/TgpVbftFrU9+BDAF2FGWIHGVgyOtaOE/6tk4PCjSHbqaITz7NLD0b8JQA4aA2o3hV6BI=
  • Reply-to:, Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <>
  • Sender:

Den Saturday 21 April 2007 22.38.53 skrev K.S. Bhaskar:
> On 4/21/07, Morgan Jones <> wrote:
> > Why don't you just perform a clean install of the operating system?
> > Correct me if I'm wrong but as long as you do a full format during the
> > install you should be fine.  This is what I did when I returned my last
> [KSB] Please stand corrected!
> Reformatting the hard drive only makes it harder to recover the data.  Even
> writing zeroes or ones on it can allow a skilled data recovery organization
> to recover data.  Short of using sophisticated tools like a sledgehammer to
> crack the drive open followed by sandpapering the platters, the next best
> option is to write a series of random data patterns over it.

Since cost wasn't mentioned. You could perhaps:
-delete the files you don't want there anymore
-buy an identical drive
-dd the old drive to the new drive
-replace the old with the new
-return the laptop to work
-hope they don't check serial numbers :-P