Toby DiPasquale on 24 Apr 2007 13:31:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] June talk on Erlang?

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:07:28AM -0400, Kyle R. Burton wrote:
> What other languages have you programmed in (professionally - for an
> employer with a team)?  What other languages have you studied or taken for a
> spin?

Professionally, I've used BASIC, C, Java, VB, Perl, Python, Ruby and
Javascript (I consider this a "real" language, if not a "real" runtime). I've
played with Lisp and Scheme for fun and also some Erlang lately. I tried
out Ocaml very briefly and have bought a book on Haskell but haven't
really cracked it as of yet.

I'm planning on writing a small SMTP server for the upcoming talk so I can
have some real project development experience to relate in the talk (e.g.
"Here's what's nice", "Here's what to watch out for", etc). My project at
work requires some of the things that Erlang is very good for
(concurrency, HA) so this small project will also help me evaluate how
well it will go in the large and also how long it will take my team to
come up to speed with Erlang.

--
Toby DiPasquale