[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] June talk on Erlang?
- From: "Kyle R. Burton" <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] June talk on Erlang?
- Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:58:48 -0400
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=LthazRs1/sjMZSvmZ7+yJY+hgF8qHcI1+sLvVKiyKteNyWWhs79QGloSFuZ0ybNeA9Y/JPC82JGBd7j63qNYmsCvPwHUb+4Y0a1Sb0G7HV/wUDh3IhGzcmss6xOz5mk8p4uV8Dbh6b4v5W1m4zdrdidcUQpXVu8vtu+ljLU83Ck=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
On 4/24/07, Toby DiPasquale <email@example.com> wrote:
Professionally, I've used BASIC, C, Java, VB, Perl, Python, Ruby and
played with Lisp and Scheme for fun and also some Erlang lately. I tried
out Ocaml very briefly and have bought a book on Haskell but haven't
really cracked it as of yet.
I'm planning on writing a small SMTP server for the upcoming talk so I can
have some real project development experience to relate in the talk (
"Here's what's nice", "Here's what to watch out for", etc). My project at
work requires some of the things that Erlang is very good for
(concurrency, HA) so this small project will also help me evaluate how
well it will go in the large and also how long it will take my team to
come up to speed with Erlang.
Where are you in the area? I have not found many people with a high degree of curiosity about different programming languages (most people are content to just learn and use 1 language). I've been working at learning different languages to force myself to learn different paradigms, to force myself to think differently about problems.
Would you be up for talking more about what you're reading and trying out?
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug