W. Chris Shank on 27 Apr 2007 03:16:20 -0000

[PLUG] md5 problem

I have a need to create an md5 password hash that matches the hash created by php md5() function, but I need to do it from the command line so I can script it. I tried htpasswd -m but the resultant hash is totally different.

Actually, I take that back, I don't need to match the hash really - I need to be able to make the php md5() hash on the fly from a variable. The other place I need to passwd can use it's own version of the hash - so long as the real passwords are the same. If I were to call php directly, how could I get a variable into the script? Any clues? Any other md5 hashing creation tools? I looked at md5sum but it really wants to hash a whole file.

--
W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC