Matthew Rosewarne on 17 May 2007 04:32:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] xorg's missing modules on upgrade--Debian

> PS:  I settled on kanotix a year ago because it was debian-based and
> seemed to "just work".  However, it's not been updated since and looks
> like it never will be.  Anyone have any recommendations for another to try
> if I can't get this to work, outside of *ubuntu?

Due to a conflict between its primary developers, Kanotix's development has
suffered.  Some of the Kanotix developers started a new distribution
called "Sidux", which you might try if you are wedded to Kanotix.  Otherwise,
I'd say that plain old Debian is no longer the bear it used to be, and can
certainly offer a user experience not unlike the more "desktop-focused"
distributions.  I personally use the "testing" branch for my work machine
haven't had so much as a hiccup.  I've been all over the map to find a decent
distro, but Debian is the only one I've found that I would recommend.  If you
need help, or just want to know a little more, just give a shout on the PLUG
IRC.

P.S.  Ubuntu may get a great share of the spotlight, but I've found it has
serious problems with the quality of its software and its development
practises.