Art Alexion on 23 May 2007 21:42:49 -0000

[PLUG] Samba changes

My apologies if the first copy of this went through.  I realized after I sent
it that I sent it from an unsubscribed address.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: "Arthur S. Alexion" <arthur@alexion.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Samba changes
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:34:00 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
First, my apologies for the HTML.  I thought it would be the best way to illustrate this question.  This is my current network.

Chubby and Rodney are desktop computers, each with two NICs: one connected to the HUB, the other to the DSL router.  The other computers are laptops, connected wirelessly to the router.

The router acts as a DHCP server and has the capability to act as a hub as well as a router.  Currently, the LAN IPs are provided by hosts files.  The LAN is samba/smbfs.

The following diagram illustrates what I want to do.

I want to eliminate the redundant hub and make the LAN and WAN connections via the DSL router.  It appears that it may "just work" for the laptops, but I am having trouble re-configuring the desktops so that LAN traffic is going through the same NIC as the WAN/Internet, and using the DHCP address assigned by the router.  I've asked help on this before, but have essentially been told that it should just work -- it doesn't.

I even tried Actiontec's (the router OEM) paid support, and they said they don't provide support for the issue while acknowledging that their equipment supports it.

Any and all help or direction will be appreciated.