Malcolm J Harwood on 25 May 2007 02:16:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dynamic IP and economics

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Stephen Gran wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 06:53:32PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> > For me, I want fixed IP (currently) because
> >
> >     - I receive mail

> In my experience, that's a show stopper.  Dynamic DNS is pretty good,
> but if you're away from home for a few days and your DynDNS client gets
> confused, you lose mail.  My parent's firewall/router uses DynDNS so I can
> keep track of it, but i have had to also set up a script to send me it's
> IP when it changes, since the updates do fail.

One solution to that is a backup MX that will do hold and forward for you. I
have a couple of friends provide mine. You could also use a cheap virtual
hosting provider just for backup.

> > [3] If anyone has any suggestions or advice (pro or con) on virtual
> >     debian boxes to be rented, I would appreciate that, too.

> With this sort of thing, you get what you pay for.  At work, we rent a
> few for ~$13/month, but they're pretty low end.

tektonic is $15/month for the low end (256Mb RAM, 10Gb disc, 1Mb/s link), and
I've been reasonably happy with them so far. It's only been a month so I've
not had long experience - I'm having the "can't take DCA.net with me when I
move" problem. As Verizon is currently selling DSL (dynamic IP only of
course) at around $15, the economics work out acceptably, albeit with some
loss of control.