Doug Crompton on 25 May 2007 02:29:34 -0000

[PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

Ok now that the linux OS question has been thrashed I have another
question. Using Raid.

I have used raid on Windows - XP and now Vista with Intel and Gigabyte
MB's and it worke fine. I would now like to do the same for Linux.

My question is how to do it. I did expermiment with it a little awhile
back. Now I intend to get an intel MB that has onboard raid. I would like
to use raid 1 - two drives mirrored.

This is quite easy to do in Windows because you are just dealing with one
partitiion. In linux I have typically used 5 or 6 plus swap.

It would be nice to have everything on raid and be done with it. Would you
put swap on raid? If not how would you deal with that?

How do you bring a virgin system up on raid? Do you first install to one
drive and then later on create a raid array? With Windows there is a
driver and you create a raid array and load the OS. Quite easy actually.

Has anyone done this with an onboard (intel) raid controller?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *