Art Alexion on 25 May 2007 17:47:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

On Friday 25 May 2007 09:00, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I mean who wants to deal
> with multiple partitions, of different filessystems

That's not really necessary for Linux.  I only use ext3 fs, and used ext2
before that.  As for partitions, you can put everything but /swap on the same
partition.  I am not sure that is a good idea if you want to do upgrades or
reinstalls, but it works just fine.  My understanding is that maximum
partition sizes are smaller in windows, necessitating partions on large
drives that Linux can handle as a single partition.

I think the hardest thing for a new Linux user to understand is permissions.
Once that's understood, most of the rest can be easy from a
non-administrative user's standpoint.  If you read lists, like kubuntu-users,
you'll see that lots of Linux users never see a command line nor manually
edit a config file.  Another problem results more from philosophy that
technicality, and that involves stuff like mp3 and wmv not working out of the
box with a default install.  New users often don't care about nor understand
the philosophy.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @