sean finney on 25 May 2007 19:02:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

hi,

On Friday 25 May 2007 15:00, you wrote:
> For all that makes Linux the powerful OS it is, it also makes it an OS
> that will never be a day to day staple for the masses. The file system is

sorry, i'm not going to bite the bait on this one...

> a big part of the benefit and problem of Linux. I mean who wants to deal
> with multiple partitions, of different filessystems, and on top of that a
> level of raid. For some it is a challenge and at times I find it very
> intimidating.

well, if you don't feel the need to do it on your windows system, you
shouldn't feel obligated to do it on your linux system either.  otherwise,
you're using two different benchmarks for your usability metrics.

> I guess I have to examine my reason for raid. In Windows raid 1 (at least
> with he Intel MB's) works the way I would like it to. It keeps two
> identical copies of drives that can function as standalone drives. I could
> take either of my drives from my raid array and throw them in a virgin,
> non raid, system and they would boot windows. I want to be able to have
> this same capability in Linux. Just a simple, write the same thing to both
> drives redundancy. I don't think that is possible and the level of
> complexitiy of raid under Linux, especially SW raid, if appears to me adds
> another failure mode or at least complexity that would have to be dealt
> with in a failure.

it works the same in linux.  the drive doesn't show up as a "normal" linux
filesystem, but instead it shows up as a raid component, and the system will
happily (well, it might complain a little) boot with a single component of a
raid 1 set.

> Maybe automated backups would be a better choice! Certainly raid does not
> or should not prclude backups anyhow.

definitely.

	sean