JP Vossen on 25 May 2007 18:17:28 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Linux (Debian) and raid

Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com>
Subject: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

<snip>

How do you bring a virgin system up on raid? Do you first install to one
drive and then later on create a raid array? With Windows there is a
driver and you create a raid array and load the OS. Quite easy actually.

Linux is the same, both the Debian Etch and CentOS-5 (RHEL-5) installers can do this at OS install time for software RAID, and for hardware RAID if the driver is present (I don't know about the Intel device you cite).

There is one point I haven't seen anyone else mentioned yet. LVM2 is a *wonderful* thing. It may seem complicated, but I have found it to be "set it and forget it" once installed. It allows all kinds of flexibility for mixing and matching (and expanding) the underlying physical storage device(s). The LVM-HOWTO [1] is a great intro to most of LVM, but it skimps on details (like the following) for snapshots.

LVM2 also allows volume point-in-time snapshots, which can be great for backups. BUT, the installers max out the Logical Volume (LV) size and fill up the Physical Volume (PV) resulting in a "Insufficient free extents in volume group" error if you try to create a snapshot. So when setting up the system, you have to deliberately leave free space in the PV or else you can't use snapshots. I'm not 100% sure how to do that in the installers (haven't tried yet), though I think you can just manually make the LV size smaller than "max". Worst case you can resize the volumes after install if necessary [2].

Good luck,
JP

[1] http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

[2] See my small write-up on this topic at http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/Backup_%26_Recovery:_Ch.22_MySQL_Backup_%26_Recovery.
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.