Doug Crompton on 26 May 2007 17:03:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

Now that this has been batted around a bit I have a few more questions.

Using Raid 1, lets assume SW raid, and having the following partitiions -

/boot, /root, /swap, /usr, /home, /lib, and maybe /opt (does Debian use
/opt?) how would one setup raid?

Does/should swap get included? Do all other partitions get included?
Doesn't the system have to boot outside of raid before in recognizes a
raid partition?

What is confusing to me is that in my Intel MB driven raid the whole drive
is part of the array. As far as the BIOS is concerned it is looking at one
drive. In Linux, using SW raid, would not one drive have to boot linux and
then the raid array is established? If this were the case then it is not
truely raid because if that one drive failed it would not boot.

I probably have this all wrong so if anyone can explain I would appreciate
it?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *