Fred Stluka on 25 May 2007 22:30:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dynamic IP and economics

Doug,

What speed are you getting for that price?  I've been with Voicenet
for years and am currently paying about $100/month for 768/768 with
10 static IPs (of which I really only need 2-3).  Service and support
have been pretty good.  Only problem is that the DSL router seems to
stall out and need resetting (cycle power) occasionally.

I did all my own DNS, SMTP, HTTP, etc for years.  Finally decided my
e-mail had become mission-critical and I was tired of being responsible
for it, so I farmed out the DNS and SMTP to Network Solutions.  I still
do my own Web server, including Tomcat and MySQL, so my clients can see
the Java/XML/AJAX Web applications I am developing for them.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- "Glad to be of service!"

Doug Crompton wrote:

I am in the same boat although I have some time. How much is
unknown.

I currently have DSL with DCAnet and pay $44/month for static. It comes
with 6 IP's. I use 2. One would be sufficient but I like redundancy and I
have some SW that needs to run on different external IP's.

Like you I do everything myself. I use my ISP only for a pipe to the
internet. I use NO other services of my ISP. I do DNS, mail, http,
asterisk and many others directly.

I know that dynamic can be made to work but it is or can be a pain
especially if you have an isp that likes to change IP's often. Other isp's
virtually never change.

My problem is that DCAnet is no longer (I am told) doing residential DSL.
I assume I can stay with them for awhile but at some point they may pull
the plug (with some notice I hope).  If they did the options are becoming
less and less. ISP's are that can supply other than dialup are few and far
between anymore. You really only have the biggies as options in most
cases. That would be Verizon and Comcast. Both will supply static but the
cost is steep. The problem is they supply it as a business package which
is totally overkill in our situations. We do not need their web space, 500
mailboxes etc. Suppling a static IP without other services would be
cheaper to the ISP than Dynamic with the services. But that is their
business plan.

So what is one to do? I don't know. The world is changing and the days of
having fun rolling your own are becoming harder and harder. If anyone has
an answer I would love to hear about it?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *