Doug Crompton on 26 May 2007 02:50:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dynamic IP and economics

The DcaNet is 3m/768 - It basically doubled in speed about a year or so
ago when Verizon double their speed offering. All I had to do was call up
and ask for it. Verizon is the line supplier.

I consider myself very lucky to have this service. I would have to pay at
least double for anything close to it today.

Does the Verizon business package have any restrictions? Again I am sure
it has lots of fluff you don't need like zillions of mailboxes, assuming
you are doing that yourself.

Doug

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Fred Stluka wrote:

> Doug,
>
> What speed are you getting for that price?  I've been with Voicenet
> for years and am currently paying about $100/month for 768/768 with
> 10 static IPs (of which I really only need 2-3).  Service and support
> have been pretty good.  Only problem is that the DSL router seems to
> stall out and need resetting (cycle power) occasionally.
>
> I did all my own DNS, SMTP, HTTP, etc for years.  Finally decided my
> e-mail had become mission-critical and I was tired of being responsible
> for it, so I farmed out the DNS and SMTP to Network Solutions.  I still
> do my own Web server, including Tomcat and MySQL, so my clients can see
> the Java/XML/AJAX Web applications I am developing for them.
>
> --Fred
>  Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
>  Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- "Glad to be of service!"
>

> Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> >I am in the same boat although I have some time. How much is
> >unknown.
> >
> >I currently have DSL with DCAnet and pay $44/month for static. It comes
> >with 6 IP's. I use 2. One would be sufficient but I like redundancy and I
> >have some SW that needs to run on different external IP's.
> >
> >Like you I do everything myself. I use my ISP only for a pipe to the
> >internet. I use NO other services of my ISP. I do DNS, mail, http,
> >asterisk and many others directly.
> >
> >I know that dynamic can be made to work but it is or can be a pain
> >especially if you have an isp that likes to change IP's often. Other isp's
> >virtually never change.
> >
> >My problem is that DCAnet is no longer (I am told) doing residential DSL.
> >I assume I can stay with them for awhile but at some point they may pull
> >the plug (with some notice I hope).  If they did the options are becoming
> >less and less. ISP's are that can supply other than dialup are few and far
> >between anymore. You really only have the biggies as options in most
> >cases. That would be Verizon and Comcast. Both will supply static but the
> >cost is steep. The problem is they supply it as a business package which
> >is totally overkill in our situations. We do not need their web space, 500
> >mailboxes etc. Suppling a static IP without other services would be
> >cheaper to the ISP than Dynamic with the services. But that is their
> >business plan.
> >
> >So what is one to do? I don't know. The world is changing and the days of
> >having fun rolling your own are becoming harder and harder. If anyone has
> >an answer I would love to hear about it?
> >
> >Doug
> >
> >****************************
> >*  Doug Crompton	   *
> >*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> >*  215-431-6307		   *
> >*		  	   *
> >* doug@crompton.com        *
> >* http://www.crompton.com  *

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *